In Visual Studio 2015 CKS Dev Tools cannot be installed through the usual way (through Extensions and Updates). Therefore, a quick and easy manual “hack” is required to add it to VS 2015.
To install CKS Dev Tools follow our step by step guide solution below:
Manually copy the extension folder from VS 2013 to VS 2015 and enable the extension through the UI.This requires access to Visual Studio 2013 with the CKS Dev tools installed.
This quick and simple solution should also work for other Visual Studio Extensions unavailable in VS 2015:
1. once VS 2015 is installed (with Office Developer Tools),
2. make sure VS 2013 has CKS Dev for VS 2013 (v 2.0) installed,
3. make sure that no instances of VS are running,
4. go to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Extensions\
5. there should be one folder there (if there is more, it’s the one containing ‘CKS.Dev.VS2013.dll’ that you need)
6. copy it to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\Extensions\
7. now the extension needs to be enabled in VS 2015:
a. start VS 2015,
b. go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Extensions and Updates’,
c. In the list (Installed\All), find the CKS Dev. It will be disabled. Click it to select, and then click ‘Enable’,
d. restart VS 2015.
8. Done – you should now have CKS Dev Tools installed. Ta-dah!!
Explanation:CKS Dev Tools (Community Kit for SharePoint Development Tools Edition) extends SharePoint projects in Visual Studio with advanced templates and tools. For more information about the project go here.