Document Libraries contain documents. A list contains links. The ‘Link to Document’ content types allows for the best of both worlds. There are many instances where a collaborative group has access to all their documents within a document library, but they may also need to link to other documents or locations from within that document library. From the basic documents library settings it wouldn’t appear as if there was any way of getting around this issue. However, if you are familiar with content types and know how to set them up, then you can resolve this requirement to have documents and links in the same library.
Firstly, you need to have full control permissions and you also need to have set up a new document library. You’re going to add a content type to this library in order to add links as well as documents to the library.
- Within your document library select the LIBRARY tab at the top and then select Library Settings from the ribbon.
- You are now in Library Settings.
- Click on Advanced Settings.
- Within the advanced settings page make sure the Content Types is set to Yes.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Advanced Settings page and click OK.
- There will now be a Content Types section in your Library settings
- Click on the Add from existing site content types.
- The Add Content Types page has a drop down menu to select the content type group.
- Select the Document Content Types from the dropdown.
- Under Available Site Content Types select Link to a Document and click Add >.
- The Link to Document will be listed under Content Types to add. Click OK.
- You will be taken back to your library settings. Return to your library.
- Select FILES tab and click on the New Document dropdown.
- The Link to a Document is listed along with any other content tyepes you have set up.
- Select the Link to a Document.
- You will be prompted to enter a Document name and Document URL.
- The URL can link to another document or external site.
- Click OK. Your link has now been added to your document library alongside your other documents. You now have links and documents in one location.